I dabble in random AI stuff (although not in a while), and NLP seems neat!
I'm making a list of projects I would do if I get the DVDs. If these seem convincing enough in a week (to avoid the "this sounds super super cool" effect and then I forget all about it, which happens a lot with me) then I'll probably get them. Maybe we could share them if you're interested :-)
- showing simple letter frequency
- some sort of solver of cryptograms
(knowing the prior probabilities of words would be helpful, and it would be a super huge dictionary)
- simple interface to see which words are more common. You could do it with people's names for extra motivation!
- Google Suggest kinda thing where you type in a few letters and you get the most common words starting with that letter.
- one of those markov chain things that spit out english text based on 1, 2, etc. grams.
This is just off the top of my head - I'm open to other cool ideas!