|many-link Friday: almost nuking the East Coast, raising the minimum wage, white privilege
||[Dec. 20th, 2013|10:38 am]
I wrote a long (and unorganized) link post because I lacked the time to write a shorter one. Sorry!
- That one time we almost accidentally nuked the East Coast - for a while I didn't really see the point of the USA and USSR both reducing their nuclear arsenal, but fewer chances for accidents like this are definitely a good thing!
- From the Onion: If I Had One Piece Of Advice For Today's Youth, It Would Be To Throw A Baseball Really, Really Well
- Two posts on those Upworthy-style headlines that have been going around: We Wrote a Heartbreaking and Terrifying Post about Viral Content without Lists or GIFs. Then You Clicked on It, and Magic Happened. and Why Are Upworthy Headlines Suddenly Everywhere? Personally, those kinds of headlines worked on me for a few months and now I have an instinctual aversion to them.
- How Many American Men Are Gay? - probably around 5%. The interesting part, although not too surprising, is that the share of people that are out of the closet depends on how tolerant your state is.
- Top 10 (Crowd-Sourced) Gift Ideas for Engineers - man, I want that LabVIEW wrapping paper!
- Snacking Your Way to Better Health - nuts are good for you again! Also, apparently multivitamins aren't that good for you.
- If a Story Is Viral, Truth May Be Taking a Beating - a bunch of recently viral stories were fake, including that kid's crayon letter to Santa with a long amazon.com link. Be careful out there!
- Rice football team goes crazy in locker room after getting Liberty Bowl invite - the "Say yes, coach! Say yes!" is undoubtedly the best part.
- Coffee Overkill Has More Marketers Thinking That It's Time for Tea - wooo tea!
- King James Programming - Markov-chain generated posts of the King James Bible and a computer textbook. Sample:
And David said unto Saul, The LORD sent me from Kadeshbarnea to see the value of the variable search that can be stored in a very efficient manner.
- NORAD Tracks Santa's Path on Christmas Eve Because of a Typo - neat, I didn't know that!
- A few minimum-wage related links: Should We Raise the Minimum Wage? 11 Questions and Answers and Supersize My Wage. Obviously economics is not an exact science, but I think raising the minimum wage would do more good than harm.
- Anti-Vaccination Movement Causes a Deadly Year in the U.S. - grrrrrrr thanks a lot Andrew Wakefield
- When “Life Hacking” Is Really White Privilege - The title made me a bit uncomfortable, but after reading the article I think it's fair. White privilege (or, really, any sort of privilege) is not realizing that you have advantages because you are white, and I think that's what was going on in the original article. (as a white person myself I probably wouldn't have thought of this had I just read the original article, but that's privilege for you...)
- South Korean Theme Park Dress Up Penguins In Novelty Outfits For Christmas - I want to go to there! (thanks Jessica!)
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all!