|friday linked list: westboro baptist church conversion, red mercury
||[Nov. 20th, 2015|05:08 pm]
- Unfollow: How a prized daughter of the Westboro Baptist Church came to question its beliefs - wow, a very interesting and mostly uplifting story!
- The Doomsday Scam - long article about "red mercury", which is supposedly a chemical that can produce a nuclear-like explosion, and a bunch of other outlandish things. But terrorists to this day believe in it! (the article is mostly about ISIS's attempts to acquire red mercury)
- History Is Made As Virginia Becomes The First State To Eliminate Veteran Homelessness - neat, good for them! (thanks Emily!)
- Our New Sid Meier's Civilization Inspired Budget - neat! We have a somewhat similar setup that tries to correct for one-time expenses, known monthly expenses, etc.
- The Islands Where Guns Proliferated—but Not Gun Crime - Hawaii has a fairly high rate of gun ownership, but a low rate of gun homicide and suicide. The theory is that this is the case because Hawaii has fairly strict gun laws and it's hard for illegal guns to get there, because, you know, it's really far away from other states. Interesting article, but if that's the case it's not exactly a model we could follow in other states...
- Go go gadget cruise ship - a video of cutting a cruise ship in half to insert a piece and make a bigger cruise ship! Crazy!
- What Lies Beneath - did Israel steal a bunch of uranium from Pennsylvania in the 1960's? The answer is a resounding maybe.