|friday linked list from India!: obamacare, the supreme court, ego depletion
||[Mar. 18th, 2016|11:59 am]
Hello from India! I'm here for another week, and I've been posting a few pictures as I go (real post with pictures coming later)
- Obamacare Has Insured 20 Million People - just a reminder that Obamacare is basically working!
- J.J. Abrams created a hiring system that considers women and minorities in proportion to the US population - wow!
- Merrick Garland Is Obama’s Rope-a-Dope Nominee - interesting theory
- The Supreme Court and the Extinction of the Serious Republican Senator - burn! Also: this is sad.
- What Costco's New Wages Say About the Health of the American Economy - yay, probably!
- "Ego depletion" may have been debunked - aw, man!
- Does Raising Self-Esteem Turn Children into Narcissists? - short answer: not necessarily, but you have to be careful. Parental love and warmth increases self-esteem, while telling kids they are amazing at everything they do leads to narcissism. (thanks David!)
- Elena Kagan Is Scalia’s Successor as the Best Writer on the Supreme Court - some fun reading, and I forgot about her citation of "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish"! (thanks David!)
- Quiz: Can we guess your age and income, based solely on the apps on your phone? - I was pretty skeptical about this, and then I got "You are a married guy older than 32 who makes more than $52,000/year", which is dead-on...
- The Hoaxster Who Revealed Sad Truths About America - linkbaity title, but Alan Abel pulled off lots of good hoaxes! (my favorite: he somehow got a fake referee - and a fake cop! - on the field at the 1983 Super Bowl!)
- After the bridge scandal from last time, now there's a crossword puzzle scandal. Bad month for leisure activities!