|thursday linked list: implicit bias, paying Walmart employees more works!, Twitter and harassment
||[Oct. 27th, 2016|01:37 pm]
- We’re All a Little Biased, Even if We Don’t Know It - implicit bias is a thing, but being aware of it can help you counter it (although more research is needed).
- How Did Walmart Get Cleaner Stores and Higher Sales? It Paid Its People More - nice to see that doing the right thing can pay off...
- “A Honeypot For Assholes”: Inside Twitter’s 10-Year Failure To Stop Harassment - I really like using Twitter, but the harassment problem is pretty terrible there. (of course I don't get harassed because I'm not a woman) As others have noted, it's ironic that Twitter was cowardly about fixing the problem because they didn't want to scare users away, and now that they're trying to sell the company nobody wants to buy them because of their image problem...
- Remember how Columbia made a peace deal with the FARC? Turns out Columbian voters narrowly rejected the deal. I haven't been following the story so I'm not sure what's happened since then, but that seems sad :-(
- Hyperpartisan Facebook Pages Are Publishing False And Misleading Information At An Alarming Rate - if you're surprised by this then I'm guessing you aren't on Facebook. I guess it's good that the left-wing pages only wrote 20% false posts compared to the 38% false posts on the right-wing pages, but that's still not great!
- Safety Net Cut Poverty Nearly in Half Last Year - just a reminder that Social Security, food stamps, etc. are effective in lifting people out of poverty
- Lessons in the Delicate Art of Confronting Offensive Speech - changing the subject is a good strategy!
- In the Chicago Police Department, If the Bosses Say It Didn’t Happen, It Didn’t Happen - good investigation of a drug ring operating inside the police department *sigh*
- Full(er) House: Exposing high-end poker cheating devices - wow, this sounds like something out of a Bond movie, but it can be yours for the low price of $5000!
- Voices From Wells Fargo: "I Thought I Was Having a Heart Attack" - yikes
- Civilization 6 is out! I haven't played much, but here's a handy district cheat sheet.