|monday morning links: wall street, cat parasites
||[Feb. 13th, 2012|10:14 am]
Because I meant to post these on Friday but ran out of time...
- The governor of Washington state is going to sign the marriage equality bill today! Woohoo!
- Loooong article on how Wall Street bankers are no longer "masters of the universe" because of, among other things, the Dodd-Frank legislation. Bonuses are way down, etc. This seems like a good thing, not least of which is the quote:
“If you’re a smart Ph.D. from MIT, you’d never go to Wall Street now,” says a hedge-fund executive. “You’d go to Silicon Valley. There’s at least a prospect for a huge gain. You’d have the potential to be the next Mark Zuckerberg. It looks like he has a lot more fun.”Fun aside, I think Silicon Valley creates a lot more value for the economy than bankers do.
- How Your Cat Is Making You Crazy - I've read bits about Toxoplasma gondii before and how it changes our behavior, and apparently there's a little evidence that getting the flu will make you more sociable (presumably so you'll have an opportunity to spread the virus). Crazy!
- Obama the Moderate - the graph is a little tricky since the 0.2 line looks (to me, anyway) bold while the 0 line does not. That aside, Obama's definitely more of a moderate than we've had since LBJ or Eisenhower.
- The new OK GO music video (teased at the Super Bowl) is pretty neat, if you like cars and driving and crazy musical instruments.