- America's Real Criminal Element: Lead - I've read this hypothesis before about the crime wave in the 60s and 70s and subsequent reduction, but this presents a very good case for it. I'm a sucker for stories explaining things in the past that were mysteries!
- Never Lie About Who You Really Are - this resonated so hard with me I nearly exploded. I am to the point where I don't hide that I have a husband, but I don't necessarily volunteer it even if it's relevant. Maybe that's not good enough.
- The Science of Why Comment Trolls Suck - from the article:
Those who already thought nanorisks were low tended to become more sure of themselves when exposed to name-calling, while those who thought nanorisks are high were more likely to move in their own favored direction. In other words, it appeared that pushing people's emotional buttons, through derogatory comments, made them double down on their preexisting beliefs.and that sounds about right from my personal experience.
- 'Star Wars' game segregates gay characters on gay planet - this is officially my favorite headline ever! The reasons same-sex relationship are only allowed on one planet is technical (they only included the same-sex flirting animations, etc. on new characters, it sounds like?) but...awesome.
- US employee 'outsourced job to China' - I am very impressed someone had the gall to pull this off...and it worked! (for a while, anyway)
- Earth to Fiscal-Cliff Pundits: $250K Does Make You Rich (this probably gives you an idea of how long I've been sitting on some of these links :-) )