|link friday: terrible charities, sleep is important, VR sistine chapel
||[Jun. 21st, 2013|02:16 pm]
Honestly, I went a little crazy with links this week. Some of these may not be any good. Try to guess which ones!
- America's Worst Charities - some truly terrible stories in there. Interestingly, GuideStar, Charity Navigator, and others are joining together to point out that a charity's overhead ratio isn't a good metric for judging it. (one non-profit's story along the same lines) It sounds like they're working on other more useful metrics...
- A reminder that not getting enough sleep is really bad for you. Also, sleep deprivation can be a real problem when you're in the hospital.
- Introducing Project Loon: Balloon-powered Internet access - this is a real thing that Google is doing! Wow. Very curious to see how this pans out.
- Are You Smart Enough to Be a Citizen? Take Our Quiz - I think knowing what all of the Supreme Court justices look like may be a bit much. I scored a 46 (without cheating!), 4 points short of earning my citizenship "with distinction".
- A cool VR "photograph" of the Sistine Chapel - very nicely done!
- America's Landlords Are Far Less Likely to Rent to Gay Couples - well, that's sad, and it was a fairly large (7000 landlords) study.
- Exodus International (the biggest "ex-gay" group) is shutting down - wow...it's not often you see a group admit that it was wrong like this. Also see an interview with the the group's president.
- The 4-Minute Workout - take that, 7-minute workout! And it's still backed up by science!
- Silver makes antibiotics thousands of times more effective - neat, although the article points out that silver can be toxic...
- The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science - long article but I found it interesting. We (humans) are very good at lying to ourselves!
51 on the quiz. :) Only really had to guess for Breyer/Kennedy on the Justices since the others all have more identifying characteristics, including Scalia's "I'm an asshole, look at me" face.
Nice. I was embarrassed to switch Kagan and Sotomayor - I'm not a racist, just ignorant! (and I missed a few others...)