|lots of links: misconceptions of poverty, more basic income stuff, baseball
||[Nov. 14th, 2013|03:53 pm]
- Poverty in America is Mainstream - some interesting facts here, like it affects way more people than I thought, although the average time spent in poverty is relatively short, which certainly challenges my preconceptions. Along the same lines - 7 Things No One Tells You About Being Homeless (a surprisingly serious piece from Cracked)
- Yet another article about Switzerland's proposal for a basic income - the more I read about this the more I'm convinced this is a good idea, or at least worth trying.
- How the Super-Rich Are Abandoning America - yeah, that's depressing.
- Interesting article on how baseball would be different if they only played 16 games a season instead of 162.
- An article about how an ad agency would market broccoli - apparently, picking a fight with kale is good business!
- 39% of people in South Carolina support same-sex marriage - whoa! For some perspective, in 2006 a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage passed 78-22%.
- Oklahoma! Where the Kids Learn Early - wow, apparently Oklahoma has universal prekindergarten!
- Occupy Wall Street activists buy $15M of Americans' personal debt - at the cost of $400K. Nifty!
- China discovers that pollution makes it really hard to spy on people - well, that's...something.
- An awesome-looking tea calendar (thanks Andrew!)