|mega-link wednesday: self-driving cars, radiation poisoning, yet more about a basic income
||[Dec. 4th, 2013|08:38 pm]
There are a ton of these, so here's a terrible effort at categorization!
- Long New Yorker article about Google's self-driving cars - sounds like they're making good progress!
- How radioactive poison became the assassin’s weapon of choice - long read about the poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko by Russian agents. Scary!
- A state drug analyst in Boston altered test results and mishandled evidence for nine years, and over 150 defendants have been released already. Amazing the damage that one person can do...
Economics and politics:
- A universal income is not such a silly idea - an economist weighs in on Switzerland's proposal.
- Is Work Necessary? - the idea goes hand in hand with a universal income.
- Does Medicaid Breed Dependency? - I read the headline and thought "of course not", but I guess that's my ideology showing :-) Anyway, this is a reasonable experiment, although the share of the population that's employed isn't a perfect metric. If someone is suffering crippling pain but has to work without Medicaid, is it really a good thing if that person is still in the workforce?
- 2013 winners of the Kantar Information is Beautiful Awards - some very nice visualizes in here!
- Baseball Games Beautifully Visualized Like Transit Maps
- Nyan Cat Bus - the video speaks for itself!
Copyright and, um, health:
- Goldieblox and the Three MCs - Goldieblox used a Beastie Boys song in their original ad (with new words), and it turns out copyright is complicated. Although Goldieblox later replaced the music in the ad. And while the idea for the toys is very cool, apparently the toys themselves may not be that great?
- Vaccinations have prevented at least 103 million cases of contagious disease since 1924 - and that's just in the US!
Punctuation, algorithms, public speaking, quizzes, Star Trek, and soccer:
- How the period became a sign of anger - sounds weird, but reading the examples I totally see it!
- Neural Network Follies - good story of a neural network gone awry...
- 7 Little-Known Ways to Conquer Your Fear of Public Speaking - I enjoy public speaking, and I plan on trying a few of these next time I do. (probably meeting the audience in advance and planning a perk for afterwards :-) )
- Can You Guess Famous Simpsons Quotes From Just a GIF or Freeze-Frame? - fun! I got 11/12, although there was some guessing involved.
- Five Leadership Lessons From Jean-Luc Picard - obviously a bit of linkbait, but I actually enjoyed the article. (thanks Mom!)
- The World Cup Draw explained - it happens on Friday! Hopefully it's a good one for the USA!