|spoooky link friday: is Obamacare working?, the Red Cross, number needed to treat
||[Oct. 31st, 2014|10:45 am]
First, a reminder: GO VOTE! It matters, and the parties aren't the same (does anyone think that anymore?), and if you don't participate in democracy you're forfeiting your right to complain. Early voting ends today in Texas, so go do it!
- Is the Affordable Care Act Working? - The New York Times takes a look. The short answer is it seems like a moderate success so far, and it would be more successful if the other 23 states would accept the Medicaid expansion. (which, remember, they only have the option to do because of the Supreme Court ruling)
- The Red Cross’ Secret Disaster - well, this is depressing. I'm trying not to become cynical in my old age, but articles like this aren't helping!
- An interesting story about weighing medicine's helpfulness versus side effects with the idea of the "number needed to treat". There's even a website with a bunch of common medicines/procedures! Seems like a very useful guide. (thanks David!)
- I knew Google was working on this, but I didn't realize Microsoft was also working on a quantum computer, and they've been working on it for a while!
- Why 12-Foot Traffic Lanes Are Disastrous for Safety and Must Be Replaced Now - kind of wonky, but I found it interesting, modulo the headline that looks like it could have come from a high school essay.
- Read what happens when a bunch of over-30s find out how Millennials handle their money - as someone who's still close to 30, I could relate to both the over-30s and under-30s.
- Lockheed Martin has been working on a compact fusion reactor, and they claim to be 5-10 years away from making it a reality. Which would be amazing for, you know, society, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, so I'll believe it when I see it.
- The Dangers of Eating Late at Night - or, "don't eat less than 3 hours before bed"
- This is awesome (and made it on the Daily Show!): Gohmert: Gays 'Getting Massages All Day' Make The Military 'Vulnerable To Terrorism'. I would be insulted, but it's too hilarious for that!
- After the whole ISIS/ISIL/Islamic State thing, Archer is dropping their fictional ISIS name, which seems appropriate, I guess. It's bad luck when reality interferes with your TV show!
- A very nice picture of the moon in foreground, earth in background taken by a Chinese spacecraft.