|big ol' link sunday: economics of Star Trek, walking in nature, artificial sweeteners
||[Aug. 2nd, 2015|10:08 pm]
Things are always crazy this time of year between the summer musical (come see us!) and NIWeek, and they're extra crazy this year for various other reasons, so you get a giant batch of links. Starting...now!
- What the economics of Star Trek can teach us about the real world - sounds like an interesting book! Thinking about the end of scarcity in the world is hard to comprehend... (thanks Jessica!)
- You Just Got Out of Prison. Now What? - very cool story about ex-cons who pick people up from prison and helping them adjust to life outside.
- How Walking in Nature Changes the Brain - yay, walking in green spaces is good for you!
- Bang Bang Sanity - likely controversial, but: over the last few years I've gotten increasingly pessimistic that any meaningful gun control laws are going to be passed in the US. But, this is a pragmatic idea that hopefully both sides can agree on, and it might have an impact on deaths caused by guns. (last year, there were 12552 gun deaths, at least 1597 of which were accidental) (thanks James!)
- The Evidence Supports Artificial Sweeteners Over Sugar - hmm, a nice "meta-analysis" in column form.
- More dirty coding tricks from game developers - oh, man, I love these! But, boy, that "...Or is it over here!?" story on page 2 *shudder* And I laughed out loud at "Constant craving" on page 2...
- Meet Margaret Hamilton, the badass '60s programmer who saved the moon landing - the code is as tall as she is!
- What About the Math Olympians? - wow, the US won the International Math Olympiad this year! Nice job!
- Anti-Gay Feeling Is High In Many African Countries Amid Obama Visit - wow, "high" is quite an understatement; those numbers are sobering.
- Why Is the Iraq War Never Mentioned in Debates About the Iran Deal? - hey, good question!
- Crashes only on Wednesdays - I did not see the punchline coming!
- Prankster showers Sepp Blatter with dollar bills at Fifa press conference - hah! (thanks Ben!)
- Quiz: Name That Narcissist - I did manage to get 11/15, but Donald Trump and Silvio Berlusconi are surprisingly alike.