|friday linked list: boo Volkswagen, yay Kickstarter, writing emails like a boss
||[Sep. 25th, 2015|02:11 pm]
- Feds allege widespread Volkswagen cheating on clean-air rules - it boggles the mind that Volkswagen thought they could get away with this!
- A Toxic Work World - here's a representative quote:
To support care just as we support competition, we will need some combination of the following: high-quality and affordable child care and elder care; paid family and medical leave for women and men; a right to request part-time or flexible work; investment in early education comparable to our investment in elementary and secondary education; comprehensive job protection for pregnant workers; higher wages and training for paid caregivers; community support structures to allow elders to live at home longer; and reform of elementary and secondary school schedules to meet the needs of a digital rather than an agricultural economy.Amen!
- Drug Goes From $13.50 a Tablet to $750, Overnight - some of the price increases in the article were later reversed (1, 2), but in a larger sense this is a fundamental problem with capitalism in the medical industry.
- Kickstarter Focuses Its Mission on Altruism Over Profit - neat, Kickstarter is reincorporating as a public benefit corporation!
- The Linguistics of Writing an Email Like a Boss - interesting analysis of Enron emails. Apparently "have you been" is the number one phrase used in emails from boss to subordinates. (but not the other way around)
- Why I Still Think Fiorina Was a Terrible CEO - she seems quick to launch personal attacks...
- The Dad Who Wrote a Check Using “Common Core” Math Doesn’t Know What He’s Talking About - I really haven't followed the Common Core math debate very well, but it is strange parents get angry when kids learn things a different way than they did. (thanks Paulina!)
- The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip, and Print Is Far From Dead - surprising! (to me) Although we still buy plenty of paper books as well as e-books.
- New Neuroscience Reveals 4 Rituals That Will Make You Happy - a little linkbaity, but this has been a fairly stressful week for me and this was somewhat helpful.