|wednesday linked list: Microsoft's carbon tax, give poor people cash, the HP iPod
||[Oct. 14th, 2015|03:47 pm]
- Microsoft Leads Movement to Offset Emissions With Internal Carbon Tax - cool, good for them! Apparently Disney and Shell(!) are doing this as well. On the other side: Exxon’s Climate Concealment
- Why Are Republicans the Only Climate-Science-Denying Party in the World? - sigh
- Give Poor People Cash - it's generally better for people to just give cash instead of food stamps, subsidized housing, etc., etc. (see also: GiveDirectly)
- The Anti-Governance Party - guess which one! See also: Archconservatives' Real Enemy Is Democracy
- How Steve Jobs Fleeced Carly Fiorina - I think it's a little unfair to say if you were out-businessed by Steve Jobs you don't deserve to be president (although there are other reasons she was a bad CEO), but I found this story about what the deal was with the HP iPod pretty interesting.
- Do We Value Low-Skilled Work? - it's easy to call something "low-skilled" when you're not the one doing it. (thanks David!)
- How to explain the KGB’s amazing success identifying CIA agents in the field? - clever stuff
- Programming Sucks - a little ranty but funny!
- Clinton Emails Became the New Focus of Benghazi Inquiry - I didn't realize the Benghazi committee started all of this. This is starting to sound a bit like Whitewater...
- It’s sleazy, it’s totally illegal, and yet it could become the future of retirement - tontines - not just a sitcom plot anymore, I guess!
- The Most Mysterious Star in Our Galaxy
- Sitting for long periods doesn’t make death more imminent, study suggests - well, dang it, which is it?
- Wondermark: A Truly Incredible Time - hah! (thanks Emily!)
- Weird Simpsons VHS - pretty much what it says on the box. A little disturbing...