|friday linked list: transgender rights in Houston, coming out on Facebook, Clinton over Sanders
||[Nov. 13th, 2015|03:05 pm]
- In Houston, Hate Trumped Fairness - transgender rights are maybe 20 or 30 years behind gay rights? But like the article says, it's a matter of when, not if. (thanks David!)
- America's Coming Out on Facebook - the number of people coming out on Facebook is going up over the last year, but there was a huge spike the day the Supreme Court ruled on gay marriage! (This year I came out as bisexual on National Coming Out Day, although not in a Facebook-detectable way)
- Not About Gender - obviously the gender stuff doesn't apply to me, but this is more or less why I like Clinton over Sanders. I appreciate that Bernie has some good ideas, but I just don't think he's electable. (how much of this is a result of my supporting Howard Dean in 2004 and then being crushed when he lost? Probably more than none!)
- Can Airlines Make Money? - the answer is a resounding maybe!
- E.P.A. Finds More VW Cheating Software, Including in a Porsche - uh-oh, more trouble for Volkswagen. Interestingly related: Volkswagen, Offering Amnesty, Asks Workers to Come Forward on Emissions Cheating. My first thought was, hmm, maybe it really was a "rogue employee" or whatever. My second thought was, wow, that's a clever way of making it look like a rogue employee did it!
- The Most Popular Passages in Books, According to Kindle Data
- Myanmar Election Panel Says Aung San Suu Kyi’s Party Won Majority - Myanmar was under military rule from 1962-2011, then there was an "election" in 2011 which the military won, and now the opposition party won a majority of seats in Parliament. So, if everything goes well, maybe they're a real democracy now!
- The Ethics of Unpaid Labor and the OSS Community - this makes me think twice about looking at OSS contributions when looking at resumes.
- The Most Common* Job In Each State 1978-2014 - neat little visualization, although looking at only the #1 job in the state is probably amplifying the effect of smaller shifts. Also: Software Developer is the #1 job in a surprising number of states! What's going on in Colorado?
- HEB Grocery Chain to Give Stock to 55,000 Employees - hey, that's my grocery store!
- Conversations with North Koreans - I find conversations with people from closed societies (like North Korea) fascinating!