|pre-Christmas linked list: José y Maria, truthfulness of politicians, safer hospitals
||[Dec. 23rd, 2015|03:00 pm]
- José y Maria - very striking image!
- All Politicians Lie. Some Lie More Than Others. - even discounting Donald Trump and Ben Carson (because: wow), it's striking that all the Republicans have a higher percentage of false statements than all (but one) of the Democrats. Obviously there's some margin of error here and you can argue some individual statements might be miscategorized, but in aggregate the picture is striking.
- Why adults have to stop trying so darn hard to control how children play
- Fewer Patients Have Been Dying From Hospital Errors Since Obamacare Started - an estimate of 87,000 lives saved since 2010, which is huge!
- Martin Shkreli Accused of Being Surprisingly Good at Fraud - so he lost a bunch of money, lied about it, and then made the money back!
- How we made: The Muppet Christmas Carol - yay!
- Researchers think that a dangerous 'back door' in software used by the US government was caused by the NSA - it's unclear who introduced the back door (and whether it was intentional), but it was definitely actively exploited.
- The cold fusion horizon - I heard a talk about some "excess heat effect" studies at work and was surprised that cold fusion is still a possibility, although not too likely.
- Get rich or die vlogging: The sad economics of internet fame - it can be hard to translate internet fame into money, especially when people call you a "sellout"...