|sunday linked list: Hillary vs. Bernie, Zika, Flint
||[Feb. 14th, 2016|12:40 pm]
- If you like Bernie Sanders, you’ll love this other longtime progressive - spoiler alert: it's Hillary! I appreciate that Bernie has brought some issues to the surface, but he just doesn't seem like a serious candidate to me; she's now attacking him as a one issue candidate, which rings fairly true to me.
But more importantly, I just can't see Bernie winning in a general election. Scalia's death is a good reminder that having a Democrat in the White House is a very important thing, and I don't want to throw away an election to "make a point". (especially if, God forbid, Donald Trump wins the Republican nomination, which used to sound ridiculous but now seems possible)
Also: I better not hear anyone say that "all the candidates except for are the same", because that is so wrong I don't even know where to begin.
- As Zika virus spreads, El Salvador asks women not to get pregnant until 2018 - oh man, that is terrifying. Although from what I've read there's no conclusive proof that Zika causes microcephaly, it's certainly suggestive from the numbers.
- What Went Wrong In Flint - a good longishform peace by FiveThirtyEight. Man, reading this made me angry.
- Glittering Blue (warning: browser intensive) - a beautiful view of the Earth from a Japanese weather satellite.
- The history of the world, as you’ve never seen it before - a little hyperbolic there, but it is a nice way of combining different parts of history.
- What Were The Least (And Most) Corrupt Countries In 2015? - we're #16! We're #16!
- Make your own Super Mario Maker wallpaper!
- A Peek Inside Turing Pharmaceuticals: 'Another $7.2 Million. Pow!' - obviously this is terrible, but this is a constant danger of a capitalistic medical system.
- The Frinkiac search engine can find screencaps for that Simpsons quote - Like I always say, a noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
- Troisi, Williams: Public health approach can stem gun violence - hey, that's my mom! Also, she's 100% right!
- Party, Gender, Whiskey: How Campaigns Place Ads to Reach New Hampshire Voters - a fun interactive look at targeting. Apparently I watch the Ellen DeGeneres Show!