|friday linked list: Hillary Clinton, Minecraft, universal basic income
||[Apr. 29th, 2016|04:52 pm]
- Is Hillary Clinton Dishonest? - lots of people think so, but that seems unfair, especially given the many, many years of scrutiny she's gotten from the media.
- The Minecraft Generation: How a clunky Swedish computer game is teaching millions of children to master the digital world - Pretty cool stuff! I'm glad there's an easy way for kids to play with programming, even if it's in a weird form.
- What Would Happen If We Just Gave People Money? - yeah, another Universal Basic Income article. The concept still fascinates me, though!
- 4 Men with 4 Very Different Incomes Open Up About the Lives They Can Afford - it blows my mind that the guy making $1 million a year worries about money once a week. (thanks David!)
- My Worst Nightmare — What If I Accidentally Raise The Bully? - I've been reading more parenting articles (for some reason!), and I worry about raising a good kid, and this article gives me hope that you can step in and make a difference.
- Can Metascores Predict Box Office Performance? Yes, they can (for major releases) - it affects opening weekend, but it affects subsequent weekends more, which makes sense as people hear that a movie is great/terrible (*cough* Batman v Superman) from their friends. I'm happy that there is some relationship here! (although: what is the deal with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2? Got good reviews but it sank like a stone its second weekend...)
- VW Presentation in '06 Showed How to Foil Emissions Tests - in case you weren't convinced that whole emissions thing wasn't totally intentional by Volkswagen.
- Exactly how male gamers react when they are forced to play female characters - interesting idea!
- Everyone Files Their Taxes At The Last Minute - I love the spike in mid-April _and_ mid-October...
- 1 Minute of All-Out Exercise May Have Benefits of 45 Minutes of Moderate Exertion - the 7 minute workout taken to an extreme!
- 22 Incredible Facts About The Life and Career Of Sir Christopher Lee - clickbait title, but wow! "The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare" sounds amazing.
- How Facebook Could Tilt the 2016 Election - another clickbait title (this is just a thought experiment, there's no indication Facebook would do this), but an interesting and kind of scary idea...
- The Curious Link Between the Fly-By Anomaly and the “Impossible” EmDrive Thruster - I keep reading about the EmDrive off and on - is it possible it's real?
- Debugging memory corruption: who the hell writes “2” into my stack?! - a fun debugging story
- Secret Thermal Camera Footage Allegedly Shows Seven Pro Cyclists Using Illegal Motors In Bikes - yikes, that is devious
- Hilariously bad phone number web forms - hah!
- On Ed Balls Day, Britain Comes Together for an Unofficial Holiday - oh Britain, you just keep being you :-)
I find it interesting that 1) the men men making $50k and $25k are unhappy with their taxes, while the men making $1 million and $250k are content with how much they are taxed; and 2) rating their happiness on a scale of 1 to 10, even the poorest guy rates himself 7 to 8, and the richer guys max out at 9. This supports my belief that happiness is fairly constant no matter your life situation, and you simply adjust your standards when something happens to change your situation.
2016-05-04 07:49 pm (UTC)
Re: 4 Men, 4 Incomes
Yeah, I think that's largely true.