?

Log in

No account? Create an account
friday linked list: Hillary Clinton, basic income, Hamilton rhymes - Greg [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Greg

[ website | gregstoll.com ]
[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Links
[Links:| * Homepage * Mobile apps (Windows Phone, Win8, Android, webOS) * Pictures * LJBackup * Same-sex marriage map * iTunesAnalysis * Where's lunch? ]

friday linked list: Hillary Clinton, basic income, Hamilton rhymes [Jun. 10th, 2016|02:42 pm]
Greg
[Tags|]
[Current Mood |sicksick]

Election 2016
- It’s time to admit Hillary Clinton is an extraordinarily talented politician - also, The crushing sexism of young Hillary Clinton's America is a good reminder about how bad things were just 50 years ago.

- The Voting Habits of Americans Like You - cool interactive look at how people voted in 2012 based on age, race, and education.

Basic Income
- The basic economics of a guaranteed income - yup, still gonna keep beating this drum. (thanks David!)

- Switzerland rejects proposals for unconditional basic income by overwhelming majority - ...oh. Hmm. OK, then. I could actually see this being a problem with no limits on immigration, but still, that's disappointing.

All the other links
- The Hamilton musical so excited the Wall Street Journal(!) they put together this look at the rhymes in Hamilton and other hip-hop songs. Surprisingly nicely done! Also: I really like the opening number but somehow I hadn't realized that the reason was the intricate rhyming.

- Barack Obama, Inequality Fighter - but the incomes of top 0.01 percent are still growing way faster than the top 1 percent, which are growing faster than the other 99 percent.

- Machine Bias: There’s software used across the country to predict future criminals. And it’s biased against blacks - pretty convincing and depressing.

- Could Alzheimer’s Stem From Infections? It Makes Sense, Experts Say - very interesting! (thanks David!)

- A controversial theory may explain the real reason humans have allergies - TL;DR: maybe allergies are actually fighting toxins?

- In Defense of Being Average (thanks Emily!)

- Today in whimsy: Tokyo’s Ghibli Museum is making a Catbus for adults - hooray!

- The Craziest Black Market in Russia - is for dissertations! (thanks Jessica!)

- Larger than Real Life - an interesting look as what it's like to be 7 foot tall. Crazy stat:
Which indicates, by further extrapolation, that while the probability of, say, an American between 6'6" and 6'8" being an NBA player today stands at a mere 0.07%, it's a staggering 17% for someone 7 feet or taller.
LinkReply