|friday linked list: authoritarianism and Donald Trump, Libya, Baltimore police
||[Aug. 12th, 2016|02:53 pm]
- An American Authoritarian: The Republican presidential candidate is not a Fascist, but his campaign bears notable similarities to the reign of Italian dictator Benito Mussolini - this is scary stuff. I know it's hard to imagine because the US's democracy has been remarkably stable for the past 240 years (except for that whole Civil War thing...), but that's no guarantee it's going to continue. Democracies do rise and fall!
- The Legacy of Obama’s ‘Worst Mistake’ (ousting Qaddafi in Libya) - yeah, this sucks. It's hard looking at dictators around the world and knowing that we could easily depose them, but that doesn't mean it will make things better...
- Here Are Some Of The Most Shocking Parts Of DOJ’s Report On Baltimore Police - these are reprehensible. This is why many people don't trust the police. Hopefully some changes will happen.
- Hillary Clinton’s Moral Conflicts on Abortion - an interesting look at how Hillary, like many Americans, seems conflicted about abortion.
- The Code: A declassified and unbelievable hostage rescue story - not sure about "unbelievable", but it is a pretty good story, and catchy too!
- Trump quotes in Zapp Brannigan's voice - oh man, these are great!